A few weeks after hinting that even more powerful and faster-charging Superchargers are coming (with up to 350 kilowatts), Tesla CEO Elon Musk wrote on Twitter that all electric vehicles will have access to the company’s network starting later this year.
The California-based automaker has deployed over 25,000 Superchargers around the globe, but so far these stations are reserved for Tesla customers, giving the brand a competitive edge. However, that will change soon, apparently.
- Also: 2021 Tesla Model 3 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV: The Numbers
- Also: Tesla Hints at Even More Powerful Superchargers
We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then & Tesla was only maker of long range electric cars.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 20, 2021
It’s one fairly slim connector for both low & high power charging.
That said, we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year.
Of course, this is a general announcement. In all likelihood, the process of opening up Tesla’s Supercharger network to all will be a gradual one, and some markets will be prioritized. Germany’s transport minister last month urged the company to open its charging network to other carmakers to make it easier for EV drivers to charge.
Musk has often said that his goal is to not only sell as many Teslas as possible but also to accelerate EV adoption by consumers. And obviously one of the keys is easy access to fast-charging stations.
Since Tesla has invested a whole lot of money to implement its Supercharger technology and network over the years, we can assume it will demand compensation from other EV makers and their customers in one way or another.
More details on how Superchargers will work once accessible to all EV drivers should come in the next few months.