Ever heard about the International Engine of the Year award? It is (as the name implies) a competition between all the engines sold in cars since January 2014. There are multiple categories in which a motor can shine. There are winners separated by displacement size, and then individual awardees are picked in specific categories: Green Engine of the year, Performance Engine, New Engine and the main prize; International Engine of the Year.
This year, the competition was in its 16th year of existence. 82 members of the automotive press had to allocate 25 points between their top 5 selections in each segment. Here are the 2014 winners:
- Less than 1000cc category: Ford EcoBoost (1L)
- 1 to 1.4L: Volkswagen TSI Twincharger (1.4L)
- 1.4 to 1.8L: BMW/PSA Peugeot Citroen Turbo (1.6L) - this is the engine that comes standard in the 2015 MINI Cooper S
- 1.8 to 2L: Mercedes-Benz AMG Turbo (2L) - the fabulous engine from the CLA45 AMG
- 2 to 2.5L: Audi’s 5-cylinder turbo (2.5L)
- 2.5 to 3L: BMW TwinPower Turbo inline-six (3L) - this engine powers the majority of the manufacturer’s lineup
- 3 to 4L: McLaren’s twin-turbo V8 (3.8L)
- Over 4L: Ferrari V8 (4.5L) - this jewel of an engine won not only for its performance, but also for its efficiency!
In the Green Engine of the Year competition, specs like fuel economy and ecologic impact were taken into account. It then comes as no surprise that the winner of this category is Tesla, since their electric drivetrain is the most advanced on the market today.
The 2014 New Engine award was won by Mercedes-Benz AMG with their 2-litre 4-cylinder. This is the engine with the highest horsepower per liter ratio in the industry.
The Performance Engine of the Year went to Ferrari, with their shrieking 4.5L V8. This is the only atmospheric engine to win not only one, but two awards!
And the overall winner of the 2014 International Engine of the Year award goes to Ford, with its 3-cylinder Ecoboost mill! This is the third win in a row for the small engine, a record never-before attained!
If you ever want to test-drive this awesome powerplant, it is available in the 2014 Ford Fiesta SE!