Your Insurance Claims History File... in Four Questions

This advertorial is brought to you by Groupement des assureurs automobiles(GAA)

Being involved in an accident is no fun and it’s the kind of experience that everyone wants to put behind them... and forget. It’s perfectly normal to not remember an accident that happened six years ago. However, were you aware that, like all drivers in Quebec, you have a file at the Fichier central des sinistres automobiles (FCSA) which registers every accident in which you’ve been involved?

1. What is the FCSA?

The FCSA is a database that tracks any accident involving a Quebec driver over the past six years. The file is managed by the Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA).

Your insurer consults the FCSA to check your claims file. It’s one of the tools used to establish the premium for your insurance policy.

2. Can I also consult my file?

You can request a copy of your Claims History Statement free of charge. Just go to the GAA website and follow the directions. You can download your copy right away using your clicSÉQUR authentication issued by the Quebec government, or make the request on line by using your driver’s licence photo, by mail or in person at GAA’s offices.

3. If I decide not to file a claim, do I have to disclose the accident to my insurer?

You must disclose any accident in which you were involved to your insurer. Even a fender bender that caused minor damage to your vehicle, and for which you decided to cover the repair costs. However, this fender bender could still appear in your file if the other driver involved in the accident declared it.

Even if you don’t file a claim, it’s better to disclose the accident yourself to your insurer. Give him your version of the facts. He can then establish your degree of liability for the accident and register it in the FCSA.

4. If my brother has an accident with my car, will it be registered in my file?

An accident is attributed to only one person in the FCSA, namely the person who was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident.

In this case, the accident will be registered in your brother’s file.

Questions about auto insurance?

You can go the Groupement des assureurs automobiles website, as well as to Or contact the Insurance Information Centre at 514 288-4321 (Montreal region) or toll free at 1 877 288-4321.

Share on Facebook

More on the subject

NewsThe most popular car insurance myths
This advertorial is brought to you by Desjardins Insurance There are a lot of misconceptions about how car insurance works. Unfortunately, they can end up costing you money! Here are some popular myths and the reality behind each one. 1. If I’m involved in an accident, my premium will go …
NewsFinding The Right Car Insurance
This advertorial is brought to you by Desjardins Insurance If you’re shopping for car insurance, here are some tips to help you get the coverage you really need. Standard coverage. First things first—you must have Liability Coverage . If you drive without it, you could be fined and even have …
News7 Things to Know About Vehicle Repairs Following an Accident
This advertorial is brought to you by Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA) Unfortunately, you had an accident with your vehicle. Following that unfortunate event, you need to think about repairs, after contacting your insurer to open a claims file. 1. First, have the damage appraised. An automobile damage appraiser, whether …
Features and TipsLending Your Car: What You Should Know
This article is an advertorial brought to you by le Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA) When it comes to insurance, what happens when the person to whom you lend your car has an accident? Here are two common scenarios: Helping out a friend by lending him your vehicle You lend …