Good news: The 1LE package that made the fifth-generation Chevrolet Camaro Russ Bond's favourite pony car on the market is coming back for 2017.
Chevrolet says the 1LE package will exist on 2017 Camaro models in both LT and SS guise, meaning V6 and V8 models will both benefit from additional performance chops.
Pricing and performance data will be released at a later date, but Chevrolet promises the Camaro LT 1LE, powered by a 3.6-litre V6, "was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class."
The V6 Camaro LT 1LE adds:
- Camaro SS suspension components, including dampers, rear toe links and stabilizer bars
- 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
- Brembo four-piston front brake calipers
- Mechanical limited-slip differential with a 3.27 ratio
- Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
- Standard dual mode exhaust system
- Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
- Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
- Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
- Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system
SS models, meanwhile, powered by a 6.2-litre V8, up the ante even further, with add-ons including:
- Magnetic Ride Control suspension
- Electronic limited-slip differential with a 3.73 ratio
- 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
- Brembo brakes with new six-piston front red calipers, featuring the 1LE logo, and two-piece rotors
- Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
- Dual mode exhaust system
- Recaro front seats
- Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
- Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
- Available PDR video/data recording system
Both versions of the 1LE package can only be added to manual transmission cars.
Chevrolet says the 1LE packages will be available in late 2016.